Tánaiste Officially Opens Chanelle Group’s new Spot On manufacturing facility
€86 million investment programme will create an additional 350 jobs over the next five years
Construction of a new manufacturing facility to commence in 2019
Thursday, 6th September 2018 Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Simon Coveney, T.D., today officially opened a new €10 million manufacturing facility at Chanelle Group in Loughrea, Co. Galway. The new 30,000 sq. ft. facility is Europe’s first dedicated Spot On manufacturing facility built to European and US quality standards. Spot On is a topical treatment used globally to protect dogs and cats against harmful parasites.
Pictured L:R: Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Simon Coveney, T.D. and Chanelle Group owner and managing director Michael Burke. Photograph: Hany Marzouk
Details of the next phase of the company’s capital investment programme which will see construction commence in 2019 on a new 25,000 sq ft manufacturing facility for liquid and paste medicinal products for the US market were also announced today. The company expects to create an additional 350 new jobs over the next five years, investing some €86 million in its operations.
Speaking at the official opening, the Tánaiste Simon Coveney, TD said; “Chanelle Group is one of Ireland’s leading exporters in the manufacture of veterinary and human pharmaceuticals, trading with over 90 countries worldwide. The company’s pioneering approach to product innovation has been a key factor in the company’s substantial growth in recent years. With over 96 products in its R&D pipeline, Chanelle is well positioned to continue to expand into new markets.
“The investment announced today is the largest by owner Michael Burke in the history of the company and through Enterprise Ireland, the Government is pleased to support Michael as he grows Chanelle Group and creates valuable employment here in Loughrea. I wish Michael and his company continued success in the future”.
Michael Burke, Owner and Managing Director of Chanelle Group said: “Since 2016 we have invested over €55 million and created 175 new jobs in our global headquarters in Loughrea. Over the next five years we will increase the pace of our investment programme, investing €86 million in our operations and creating 350 new jobs, bringing total employment to over 850 people.
“As part of this programme we will invest €11 million in a new facility for the manufacture of liquid and paste products which will also be designed and built to European and US quality standards. Construction will begin in October 2019 and the products manufactured will be for the US market”.
Mr Burke added; “Research and Development is critical to our success. We’ve doubled turnover in the last five years, and expect to double turnover again within the next five years. This growth has been driven by our focus on R&D and I remain firmly focused on innovation. We will invest more than €45 million in R&D over the next five years in our five research laboratories operating in Ireland and the Middle East. We develop 15 to 20 new products every year; this level of innovation is unheard of in many larger multinational companies”.
Julie Sinnamon, CEO, Enterprise Ireland said: “Enterprise Ireland has worked closely with Chanelle Group for many years, from its initial start-up phase, to the global leader that it is today. This investment programme of €86 million is one of the largest investments by any Irish company in the history of Enterprise Ireland and its impact on the local and regional economy will be significant. Chanelle’s success is a testament to the innovation and leadership at Chanelle. Enterprise Ireland will continue to work with Chanelle to achieve its global ambition, cementing the company as a global leader in its field, and creating and sustaining regional jobs in Ireland.”
Chanelle Group, which is privately owned by its founder and managing director Michael Burke, is Ireland’s largest manufacturer of generic medicines for human and animal health, achieving sales of over €111 million in 2017 and forecasting sales of €130 million in 2018. Customers from Ireland, the UK, Spain, Bulgaria, the Netherlands, Romania, Greece, Israel, Sweden and Germany attended today’s official opening.
About the new Spot On facility:
The new Spot On manufacturing facility will enable Chanelle Group to grow its share of the global market in anti-parasitic health products for small animals which is expected to reach a value of $2.28 bn by 2026. The rapid growth in market demand is due to increasing spending by pet owners on healthcare for their pets. Increasing disposable income enables them to spend more generously on pet care than ever before. Chanelle has agreed Spot On manufacturing contracts in excess of €20 million, with animal health companies in the EU, Asia, the Middle East and the United States. Chanelle has designed and built the new Spot On manufacturing facility to meet HPRA and FDA standards. The company has achieved certification from the HPRA and is now applying for FDA certification, to enable the company to sell direct in the United States. The company employs over 500 people and currently has 91 open positions. Roles at the Spot On manufacturing facility include positions in Operations, Research & Development, Engineering, Quality and Warehouse operations.
- Chanelle Group is the largest Irish-owned manufacturer of generic pharmaceutical products in Ireland employing over 500 people at present.
- Headquartered in Loughrea Co. Galway, the company was founded in 1985 by its owner and managing director, Michael H. Burke, a trained Veterinary Surgeon and commenced manufacturing with two staff.
- The Chanelle Group provides a spectrum of services to its customers including research and product development, registration and production of generic pharmaceuticals for both Human and Veterinary Pharmaceuticals.
- Chanelle has over 2000 animal health licenses registered in the EU – the largest number of registered veterinary licenses of any company in the EU; with 500 licences outside EU.
- Chanelle holds over 1900 product licences for human health products worldwide.
- Chanelle exports to over 96 countries worldwide, with key markets in EU, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Africa and the Middle East.
- Chanelle supplies 10 of the top 12 multinationals in the world with both human and veterinary products.
- All growth is organic and the company has continually grown its business each year since 1985.
- Chanelle’s Headquarters is located on a 17.5 acre site and includes three manufacturing plants, four research and development centres, warehousing and offices.
- Chanelle also has sales offices in the UK and Mumbai in India and a fifth research and development laboratory in Amman, Jordan which employs 50 people